MAS Foundation Privacy Statement
The MAS Foundation (we, us, our) complies with the New Zealand Privacy Act 2020 (the Act) when dealing with personal information. Personal information is information about an identifiable individual (a natural person).
This policy sets out how we will collect, use, disclose and protect your personal information.
This policy does not limit or exclude any of your rights under the Act. If you wish to seek further information on the Act, see www.privacy.org.nz.
Changes to this policy
We may change this policy by uploading a revised policy onto the website. The change will apply from the date that we upload the revised policy.
This policy was last updated on 7 June 2023.
Collection of information
We collect personal information from you, including:
- email address.
- home and/or work address.
- telephone number.
- contact preferences.
- details of MAS membership.
- online activity logs related to our website, IP addresses, cookie, device, browser and operating system identifiers, internet tags, location and navigational data provided by your connection, server addresses, top-level domain names, dates and times of visits to the website, pages accessed and documents downloaded, interactions with tools and advertising, previous websites visited, and the type of browser used.
We may collect and store your personal information in the following circumstances:
- when you voluntarily provide information to us, for example:
- when you complete forms on this website (including registration forms, enquiry forms and other forms).
- when you submit questions, comments or other communications to us.
- as you navigate through our website, certain information may be passively collected (that is, gathered without your active participation) using various technologies and means, including technical information and usage information individual to you.
How we will use your information
We collect your personal information in order to:
- assess, facilitate and monitor applications for funding.
- carry out internal research and development, including planning for future funding.
- prepare communications in respect of funding outcomes and case studies (where possible, we will anonymise personal information for this purpose).
- verify your identity and assist you in case you forget your password or login details.
- respond to any requests or correspondence from you.
- manage and improve this website and any related services.
- carry out internal research and development.
- provide you with information about a service that you are using (including critical updates and announcements).
- customise this website to suit your particular preferences and interests.
- where you create a message using this website (for the purpose of sending that message to us, or to any other recipient specified by you), send that message.
- analyse website usage, trends and statistics.
- with your permission, supply you with further information concerning products and services which may be of interest to you; or
- carry out any other use that is authorised by you or is notified to you at the time of collection.
Disclosing your personal information
Besides our staff, we share this information:
- with our stakeholders, such as community groups, charitable trusts or our trustees, for the purpose of assessing, fulfilling or monitoring funding applications or otherwise managing our business.
- with organisations that provide us with services or professional advice such as lawyers, accountants, and auditors.
- with Inland Revenue.
- with Charities Services.
- where disclosure is connected to the purpose for which it was collected, for example, in a funding application.
- with any entity in the MAS Group, being the Medical Assurance Society Members Trust (the Trust) Medical Assurance Society New Zealand Limited (MAS) and all companies which are owned by them or over which the Trust and MAS are able to exercise control.
- where we have given you notification of the intended use or disclosure and you have not objected to that use or disclosure.
- where we believe that the use or disclosure is reasonably necessary to assist a law enforcement agency or an agency responsible for national security in the performance of their functions.
- where we believe that the use or disclosure is reasonably necessary to enforce any legal rights we may have, or is reasonably necessary to protect the rights, property and safety of you, us, or others; or
- where we are required or permitted by law to disclose the information.
Protecting your personal information
We will take reasonable steps to keep your personal information safe from loss, unauthorised activity, or other misuse.
In accordance with the Privacy Act 2020, the MAS Foundation may store your personal information for as long as it may lawfully be used by the MAS Foundation.
Accessing and correcting your personal information
You have the right to ask for a copy of any personal information we hold about you, and to ask for it to be corrected if you think it is wrong. If you’d like to ask for a copy of your information, or to have it corrected, please contact us at email@example.com.